On May 29, 2019, the “International workshop” was held in the State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Statistics on the theme “Development prospects of the Open Data Portal of the Republic of Uzbekistan”. The event was attended by committee employees, representatives and specialists of international organizations, employees of ministries and departments of the Republic of Uzbekistan, as well as representatives of the media.
As noted at the workshop, in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan № DP-4273 of April 9, 2019 “On additional measures to ensure openness and transparency of public administration, as well as to increase the statistical potential of the country”, the State Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan on Statistics was entrusted with coordination activities of state bodies and organizations on formation, maintenance and updating open data sets and the timely reflection of relevant information on Open data portal of the Republic of Uzbekistan (data.gov.uz).
The workshop included a presentation by Project co-ordinator in Uzbekistan Mr. Hans-Ullrich Im of Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) on the topic “Support for the OSCE Project Co-ordinator to the Government of Uzbekistan in Open Data Management”. Besides that, presentations were made: "Ensuring the openness and transparency of national statistics and increasing the statistical potential of the country" and “Development prospects of the Open Data Portal of the Republic of Uzbekistan".
It was also emphasized that the main goal of the activities carried out by state statistics bodies is to reflect open and reliable data on socio-economic changes and reforms taking place in the Republic of Uzbekistan and data allocation in databases of international organizations and leading ratings.
As was noted at the event, in order to fulfill the tasks assigned to the statistical bodies, the State Committee on Statistics has performed the following:
- A specialized unit has been created - Department for Monitoring and Coordination of the Open Data Portal;
- An interdepartmental working group was formed, consisting of more than 200 employees and specialists of ministries, departments and 4 meetings of the interdepartmental working group were held;
- A press conference was organized at the National Press Center of Uzbekistan on the topic “Increasing the statistical potential of the country, ensuring the openness of statistical information”;
- A roundtable was held at the University of World Economy and Diplomacy entitled “Increasing the statistical potential of the country, ensuring the openness of statistical information”;
- Participated in a regional conference according to Data Con Central Asia 2019;
- 10 databases of international organizations were studied: the total number of indicators in these databases exceeds 20 thousand indicators;
- The open data portals of Singapore, Russian Federation, Belarus and the Republic of Kazakhstan were reviewed and analyzed;
- a list of open data sets to be placed on the Portal of open data was supplemented by reviewing the international indicators of social and economic situation in sectors of economy, as well as information on database systems used in government agencies and organizations;
- is being prepared for the approval list of open data sets which will be placed on the open data portal of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- The State Committee on Statistics, the National Agency of project management under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan jointly with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan is being prepared a plan of measures to ensure the participation in 2020 of the Republic of Uzbekistan in the international rankings, "The Global Open Data Index" and the "Barometer of open data".
In addition, the following main objectives for 2019 were announced:
- Preparation and submission for approval of the draft Concept of the Republic of Uzbekistan on further development of open data;
- Preparation and coordination of access process of the Republic of Uzbekistan to the International Charter of Open Data;
- Development of the Roadmap for improving the position of the Republic of Uzbekistan in international ratings of the Global Open Data Index and the Open Data Barometer.